Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spring


 This is a picture I painted last year for a friend. 


I rarely work with acrylic and I have never painted birds or butterflies before so I ended up doing quite a bit of research on this little yellow finch.


I draw butterflies all the time because I love their whimsy but like I said I had never painted one before. It felt like painting a flower to be honest. I also took some time to emboss a few patterns into the background. I wanted to include a few surprise elements that you might not notice right away when looking at the piece.


I have to confess I think I am in love with birds and butterflies now.


This is my favorite part of the whole painting. In the very beginning stages I had this piece laying out across my living room floor. Some how this little footprint, and another partial print, magically appeared. I have my suspicions, but have yet to receive a confession.

Sometimes it is the unexpected mishaps which make a painting so special. This particular mishap makes me want to let little feet walk on my art more often. It is extremely precious. 


Medium: Gesso and Acrylic on Canvas

No comments: