Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Missing Out






Image Source: Vincent's House in Arles (The Yellow House) - http://www.vggallery.com

First impressions are often what drive our opinion of a person, event, or even work of art. For example, I've never particularly cared for the work of Vincent Van Gogh. However, driven by the desire for a little art enrichment, I had the pleasure of taking an art history course last year. It was through this course I was introduced to Van Gogh's letters. The perspective I gained from reading his letters encouraged me to take a second look at what I once had passed up. 

Unfortunately, I had formed my initial opinion based on a single statement made by a friend (who was an admirer of Van Gogh's work). I am not sure why the statement had turned me off, and to be honest I can't even remember what the statement was. What I do know is, I was missing out, and for years I held a negative opinion of Van Gogh's work without any real justification. I had subconsciously made it a point to ignore his work whenever possible. 

The art history class forced my hand, requiring me, not only to review his work but also establish a relationship with the artist through letters he and his family had written. After reading the letters I realized the way in which Van Gogh wrote about his art, and its inspiration, was very different from what I had imagined. He seemed upbeat and inspired by life. I particularly liked when he wrote about using color to add emotion to his paintings. Even in the letters where he seemed deflated by his progress or situation there was something I could connect with.

I was intrigued by how Van Gogh's letters transformed him from a famous artist to an ordinary person. I had always wondered what kind of life famous painters of centuries past had lived, yet for some reason I never made the connection to "ordinary" until I read these letters. He seems like a typical young adult searching for a place he could turn his calling into a career. After reading his thoughts on the acceptability of his artistic approach by others, I started to think about how much art has changed. It is amazing to see the transformation art has made over the centuries.

I have discovered an appreciation for Van Gogh's work which I never thought I would have. I can't say I like all of his paintings, in fact there are only a few I do like. However, I am more cautious about forming a negative opinion of an artist, and his or her work, without any real justification.

Whether you like Van Gogh's work or not, I hope you will take some time to read his letters. Often it takes some form of personal connection to an artist to help you connect with their work. I think when it comes to what we might call the Masters we feel obligated to like their work because society has told us how great they are. However, I think it is still important to find our own understanding and connection to their work, good or bad, it improves the experience. My story is a perfect example of what the majority of people miss when it comes to viewing and experiencing art... a relationship with the artist.


P.S. Here are two of my favorite pieces by Van Gogh.

 Image Source: Blossoming Almond Tree - Vincent Van Gogh - http://www.vggallery.com

 Image Source: Green Ears of Wheat - Vincent Van Gogh - http://www.vggallery.com



No comments: