Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2012

Summer Lilly in Color


I decided to try this study again, in color this time. I haven't worked with colored pencil much in the last ten years which has made this adventure even more challenging. I am finding I have to give myself more time to adjust to the medium. Especially since I am used to being able to manipulate color simply by mixing in a little blue or yellow and working them together on my pallet. It's a whole new game when your colors are limited to what's in your hand and how well you can blend them on the page. As you can tell I have quite a bit left on her hair and then I'll move onto her shirt. I am still trying to decide what to do with the background. Should I leave it white or attempt to bring in some depth? Do I stay true to the photograph or do I invoke my artistic freedom? Sometimes there are just too many choices.


Medium: Colored Pencil on Watercolor Paper

No comments: