Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Abstract ... What?...

Abstract Expressionism has always been a mystery to me. I remember seeing Abstract Expressionist paintings the first time I visited the Portland Art Museum. I didn't linger too long, mostly because I didn't understand the intent. I know I am not the only one who wasn't getting it because my sister had made a similar comment when we visited the museum another time. It was only recently, through my study of art history, I have found a basis for understanding this style of art.

One theory on the subject I found enlightening is that of Clement Greenberg. Greenberg believed art should reflect the literal nature of the medium. In other words art should not attempt to be what it is not. This theory is based on nonfigurative expression through emotional discovery. The intent is to use the medium to express the artist's state of mind in order to draw on the emotions of the viewers. Abstract Expressionism is based on free thinking. This style of art was designed to lead the viewer emotionally, to discover a piece of art for themselves, and relate to it free from implied or structured thinking. Examples of this can be seen in the work of Jackson Pollock, Barnett Newman, and Mark Rothko.

In the work of Jackson Pollock, it is the approach he took in expressing his thoughts on canvas which show the relationship to Greenberg's theory of art. There is no object, focal point, or distinct feature in Pollock's work. The splashes of paint, drops of color, and layered affect create such abstractness the only way to relate to his art is through emotions. Your mid isn't told what to think, through the inclusion of relateable objects or scenes, this makes the process of how the art was made distinctly more important in understanding the end result.

The color block, or color field, work of Newman and Rothko evoke a different sort of approach to the same concept. This time through color placement and, in Newman's work, color purity. Newman used bold color to express emotion where Rothko used color to tell a story allowing the viewer to direct their perception based on their relationship to the colors used. This theme is seen in the Post-Painterly Abstraction style art as well, where artists used a medium in its pure form, allowing its purity and inherent beauty to drive the formation of the art. 

One common thread in all Abstract Expressionist art is the emotional connection with the state of mind. The artists paint what they feel, how they feel, providing canvases which are both full and minimal. What I mean is Abstract Expressionists painted in such a way which allowed the viewer to interact with the art from their own emotional connection. While the canvas was far from empty the viewer's emotions and state of mind would contribute to the overall effect of the art. Put another way, this would be similar to being given the alphabet and told to create a sentence. The art was a platform from which the viewer could go wherever their emotions led.

I have to confess it is extremely fun and liberating to create an Abstract Expressionistic piece.  These are often my favorite way to decompress from a long week or a difficult day. Yet, for a long time I found it hard to consider them worth calling art. I have developed a new perspective on this form of art and in the future I will take the time to linger longer and see what I find.

No comments: